Holding a Khan Academy contest
What is a Khan Academy contest?
Hold a contest
1 ) Find an appropriate mission for your students.
- Students who need remediation: If you have students who are performing below grade-level, missions such as Early Math, Arithmetic, or Pre-Algebra can help solidify their math foundations first.
- Students who are at or above grade-level: These students can use their corresponding grade-level or subject-level missions to reinforce what they’re learning in class and/or prepare for the end-of-year standardized exams. They can similarly benefit from missions such as Arithmetic or Pre-Algebra to strengthen foundational skills.
2 ) Create a culture around missions and the growth mindset
- Growth Mindset Lesson Plan
This plan was created as a collaboration between Khan Academy & PERTS, Stanford's research center on academic mindsets. It includes activities, videos, and links to helpful resources. Feel free to adapt and edit the activities provided to meet the needs of your students!
- MindsetKit by PERTS
This website houses a variety of resources for teachers to use with their students, including videos, articles, activities, and more.
3 ) Set goals
- Create a leaderboard to show how many mission-level skills each student has mastered. Each week, reward the student who mastered the most skills that week, or give a shout-out to the top 10 students.
- Make a poster in your classroom to celebrate students who have completed 10% of their mission, 20%, 30%, etc. Use your Student Progress report to keep the poster up to date.
- Give students a prize every time they master 10 new mission-level skills.
- Whenever a student completes their mission, give them a prize.
- Give out certificates to students at an end-of-year celebration that recognizes students who’ve completed their missions.
- If you teach multiple classes, throw a pizza party for the first class to have all students complete their mission.
4 ) Tips from teachers
- Although you’re free to explore any skill you like on Khan Academy, only mission-level skills count for this contest.
- Khan Academy will recommend skills from your mission for you to complete, and you’ll see them on the right side of your dashboard. If you’d rather choose skills yourself, click Show all skills on the left side of your dashboard and select a square.
- To “level up” on skills and achieve mastery, you’ll need to do mastery challenges!